E Mail: Mohanm98@hotmail.com
Specialization: Plant genomics, Biotic Stress, Molecular analysis of Plant/Insect interaction
He has been involved in molecular analysis of insect resistance genes in rice. His main work is on the tagging and genetic and physical mapping, marker-assisted selection of gall midge resistance genes. Molecular markers linked to insect resistance genes that have been developed by his group are being used in gene pyramiding into elite rice cultivars. Besides, as a part of integrated pest management, he has also developed molecular markers that can distinguish the different biotypes of this insect without resorting to host-based screening. This and other contributions of his group have been acknowledged and acclaimed internationally. His research projects have been mainly funded by the Rockefeller Foundation, USA, IAEA/FAO Joint Division and Department of Biotechnology, Government of India.
- Fellow of National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (FNAAS)
- Fellow of Indian National Science Academy (FNA)
- Recipient of Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Award for the Triennium (1996-98) in Agriculture by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- Biotechnology Career Fellowship (1994-96) from the Rockefeller Foundation, USA.
- Consultant to International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)/Food Agricultural Organization (FAO), Vienna, Austria
- Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), Australia
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) for developing agricultural biotechnology program in Sri Lanka.
- Kumar A, Jain A, Sahu RK, Shrivastava MN, Nair S, Madan Mohan (2005) Genetic analysis of resistance genes for the rice gall midge in two rice genotypes. Crop Sci 45: 1631-1635
- Jain A, Ariyadasa R, Kumar A, Srivastava MN, Madan Mohan, Nair S (2004) Tagging and mapping of a rice gall midge resistance gene, Gm8, and development of SCARs for use in marker-aided-selection (MAS) and gene pyramiding Theor Appl Genet 109:1377-1384
- Harris MO, Stuart JJ, Madan Mohan, Nair S, Lamb RJ, Rohfritsch O (2003) Grasses and Gall Midges: Plant Defense and Insect Adaptation Annu. Rev. Entomol. 48:549-577
- Sardesai N, Kumar A, Rajyashri KD, Nair S., Madan Mohan (2002) Identification and mapping of an AFLP marker linked to Gm7, a gall midge resistance gene and its conversion to a SCAR marker for its utility in marker aided selection in rice Theor Appl Genet 105:691-698
- Behura SK, Sahu SC, Nair S, Madan Mohan (2000) An AFLP marker that differentiates biotypes of the Indian gall midge (Orseolia oryzae, Wood-Mason) is linked to sex and avirulence Mol Gen Genet 263: 328-334
- Behura SK., Sahu, SC, Rajamani S., Ambika Devi, Mago R, Nair S, Madan Mohan (1999) Differentiation of Asian rice gall midge, Orseolia oryzae (Wood-Mason), biotypes by sequence characterised amplified regions. Insect Mol Biol 8: 391-398
- Rajyashri KR, Nair S, Ohmido N, Fukui K, Kurata N, Sasaki T, Madan Mohan (1998) Isolation and FISH mapping of Yeast Artificial Chromosomes (YACs) encompassing an allele of the Gm2 gene for gall midge resistance in rice. Theor Appl Genet 97: 507-514
- Madan Mohan, Nair S, Bhagwat A, Krisna TG, Yano M, Bhatia CR, Sasaki T (1997) Genome mapping, molecular markers and marker-assisted selection in crop plants. Mol Breed 3: 87:103
- Reddy AR, Scheffler B, Madhuri G, Srivastava MN, Kumar A, Sathyanarayanan, PV, Nair S, Madan Mohan(1996) Chalcone synthase in rice (Oryza sativa L.): Detection of the CHS protein in seedlings and molecular mapping of the chs locus. Plant Mol Biol 32:735-743
- Madan Mohan, Nair S, Bentur JS, Prasada Rao U, Bennett J (1994) RFLP and RAPD mapping of the rice Gm2gene that confers resistance to biotype 1 of gall midge (Orseolia oryzae) Theor Appl Genet 87:782-788.